Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Should I go on Vacation or Compete?

It was a big decision I had to make early in the week, the World Championship of No Gi Submission grappling was this weekend and I had a paid trip to go compete. It was funny how these things happen to me, about 6 months ago I mentioned to Master Lloyd Irvin that I wanted to compete. We were out celebrating after a fight and I didn’t think much about it when he said if I did he would. I also didn’t think much of it because he was told that he should not ever compete again because of his neck injury. Well a week ago at the fights at George Mason University he told me he was going and that he signed me up!

Well that got my blood stirring and I was excited but told him I had not trained for competition in No Gi. By the end of the night every excuse I brought up was crushed. I said things like I am not in shape and he would counter with when are you not in shape? By the end of the night I was pumped up and knew that I had a good chance of winning. That is one of the reasons why Master Lloyd is such a good coach he knows how to make you feel invincible.

Getting home that night I explained my plans to my wife who was really supportive but who also reminded me that it was supposed to be our family vacation! I told Amy that I would wait till next year but she knows how much I like to compete so she insisted I go. 1 week out from the World Championships and I had no idea where I stood on conditioning or how I would feel during a competition style match. Knowing that Zach and Jaymo have been training for a fight I called and asked them if they could push me Monday.

Monday came and we set out to check my conditioning and technique. Well during the hour workout my knee (which has had a bucket tear in the meniscus) locked up 3 times. I have had this tear for over a year and I competed with it when I grappled in the Pan Ams but No Gi is different. I could not control the pace as well and my knee was put in positions that made it lock. To unlock it requires me to stop and put both hands on it and push it till I hear a loud pop! I tried 2 knee braces but neither helped. Guess it is time to get my knee cut on.

Well I called Amy and told her the news, on one hand I knew she was disappointed but I could hear the excitement in her voice when she asked if that meant we were heading to the beach? I was very sad that I could not compete this year but a few days at the beach with Thor and Amy helped me get over itJ

No comments: