Monday, August 18, 2008

Black Belts and the Magic Pill!


Tom Shin who started training with me over 10 years ago was awarded a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Friday night. This is only the 2nd one I have ever given out, the first one being Justin Montano. This was a great moment for Tom and me because it signified more than just his skills on the mat. The dedication and loyalty is something that is hard to talk about because it is something I never ask for, like many instructors you just assume most students are like Tom. It amazes me when after years of training a student in BJJ still looks for that magic pill. I can understand when a new student is looking for it.

I have had students jump ship after years of training with me because they think I am not spending enough time with them and their goals, that if I hold their hands and work with them everyday they will be able to reach their goals they are looking for that magic pill. I have learned from years of Coaching that this type of student will never reach their goals because they didn’t realize where to find the magic pill, it was inside them.

I have created many World Champions and National Champions in Thai Boxing, MMA and BJJ, Submission Grappling using the exact program I have now. Some of the best grapplers and Thai Boxers in the country train at Evolve each of those athletes know that they already have the magic pill it is already inside them.

Tom already knew about the pill the moment he started training. He told me his goals and I told him what it would take to reach it, he never questioned it he just did it. I knew then that he had the magic pill inside him.

If you ever hear me call someone a “Soldier” that is what I am talking about, someone who follows the order without question! A “Soldier” already knows that when I am yelling and screaming at them it means I think they can be something bigger than even they think they can become. They also know if I am giving them enough attention to yell and scream at them it is because I care about them!

I have never told Tom or anyone else about this subject but I was told that this is what a Blog is for, your true opinions and thoughts. The ceremony was awesome and I was shocked to see so many people show up. The live band ( Electric Kool-Aid Babies) really put on a great show. My only regret was that we did not have it on a Saturday so we could have partied a lot longer:)

Once again I want to congratulate Tom on his Black Belt and thank him Justin and all the students that have stuck with me throughout the years.

No comments: