Sunday, November 30, 2008

Evolution of Wrestling:)




Doing live TV interviews are always a drag, especially if you have a limited vocabulary like mine, but I decided to help a former student out. Since none of his coaches could make the interview, he thought of me and asked if I would talk about wrestling for his club. He went on to tell me that wrestling is very similar to what we do at Evolve. I spent a couple of hours at their practice last Friday and was really impressed. The training was very similar to what we do with our kids and I couldn't help but compare the two.

I am a huge fan of wrestling and in my mind it is the hardest of all scholastic sports. The practices are usually two hours long or longer and I believe that if we made any of our prisoners do this type of workout, the human rights groups would be shouting that it is cruel and unusual punishment. Wrestling teaches self-reliance, self-confidence, and life skills; utilizing the power of positive goals, without making excuses for failure. There is no one else on the mat but you and your opponent.

Evolve's kids' program only has long training sessions on Saturday's, and those are open only to the kids in the Master's Club. The rest of the classes are only one-hour long. Despite this, I feel that our program teaches the kids so many more skills that will give them a head start in life. These life skills include discipline, self-control, patience, confidence and courage. I am not saying that wrestling does not provide these things, but I do believe that what we teach focuses more on this type of character development.


One of the main things I have noticed missing in wrestling is the respect factor, which I personally think is one of the first building blocks of life skills. Most of the kids I met at the practice , except for the one who had trained with me, had no idea how to greet or talk to an adult properly. Teaching that you should respect your elders and show it through your communication skills is something that is often overlooked in today's society.

As most of you already know, I do Personal Security work for some of the wealthiest people in the world, and their social settings are always a bit intimidating. I believe that my ability to make the client feel comfortable is the main reason why I am able to thrive in these settings. I am still being requested even though my price is one of the highest in the security business. While I use specialized security skills in order to make my client's feel safe and secure, I also use interpersonal skills on a daily basis. These communication skills allow my clients to feel like they can relax around me. I have learned that communicating respect is very important in society.

Self-defense is another thing that I really think makes our program stand out, even against other Martial Arts academies in the area. One of the most common things I hear is " my son earned his Black Belt at _____ Academy and I want him to really learn how to defend himself so I brought him to Evolve" . Self-Defense is one of the main priorities in all of the programs we offer, but we also stress conflict resolution, personal responsibility and avoidance of confrontation. If a kid or adult has to step into the world of physical confrontation I want them to have the tools necessary to come out on top. This is very different from most other martial arts schools, where punching the face will get you disqualified or punished.

At Evolve, there is a belt system that acknowledges kids for the work they put in. This teaches goal setting and rewards you for the goals you reach. In wrestling the only rewards are in the tournaments. This can be a harsh reality because some kids, no matter how hard or how long they train, will never win at tournaments. Does this mean they are not winners? Of course not. That is why at Evolve it is a hard path to Black Belt, but it is one that is attainable for everyone who can pass the intro class. The definition of success is "the completion of anything intended." In other words, success is finishing what you planned to do.

The wrestling program and our Young Adults program were very similar, but observing it did make me feel a lot better about what we do for our kids. I truly believe, and have proven through my former students, that we try to give positive building blocks for life skills. I have been teaching in the DC area for about twelve years and since that time I have had kids go on to become some of what society would say are some of the most successful occupations- Lawyers, Doctors, Police Officers, Fire Fighters, Military Special Forces Soldiers etc… In order to become any of these things, you have to have good life skills. Did Evolve Academy have a part in any of this? I would like to think so !

No comments: