Saturday, October 18, 2008

It’s been a long journey, but it has just begun!


Watching Zach Davis's highlight reel made me smile, and it wasn't because of his singing abilities.J It made me smile because I have not seen on video all clipped together how far Zach has come. If you haven't seen it, check it out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgjmWgXoLz8. Andres Meraz did a great job on it.
I forget because I see Zach every day. It’s almost like when you see your baby every day; it is hard for you to see his growth. It is only after you look at pictures or old videos that you can you see it.
Zach has been training with me for about 5 years, and as most of the old timers know he wanted to be an MMA fighter from day one. This was before the explosion in the popularity of MMA, basically before the money was in the sport. He wanted to do it even when it wasn't cool. He was so serious about the goal that in 2005 he put a big tattoo that says Vale Tudo down the side of his leg, which means anything goes or free fighting in Portuguese, which is now recognized as MMA here in America.
By putting the tattoo on his leg, he made a public commitment about his goal. There are some goals that you keep secret because you know that if you tell people they will tell you that there is no way for you to achieve them or give you some other negative opinions so you just keep it to yourself. Whenever you go public with your goals, it is no longer a maybe; it turns into a must. You are now 100% committed to it. Zach's tattoo publicly committed him to his goal of becoming a MMA Fighter.
The first time I saw the tattoo I thought he was crazy. Why would anyone who had so much going for him want to be an MMA fighter? Zach at the time was a college student with a bright future but he didn't care about anything but MMA. Explaining to Zach that it was a very difficult journey and there wasn't much reward when you got there didn't deter him. (Of course that is now changing with MMA so popular a fighter can actually make a good living.) He has put everything in his life on hold or cut it completely off to try to reach his goal.
MMA is not something that can be learned in a year or even two. There are so many facets to MMA that training your body for everything takes years. This is what is so hard to explain to new students. If they have never wrestled, boxed or done some type of Martial Arts it will usually take several years of serious hard training. If they have done something else you can usually speed up that process. Most new students (including Zach) don't want to listen and sometimes end up getting emotionally hurt when they discover the truth. We are all used to instant gratification and in combat arts there are no short cuts. You have to train and get your body reacting off instinct, and that takes time. In MMA there are so many variables that getting your body to react instinctually is very difficult.
Zach learned this in his first MMA fight. He had been training boxing, so his standup was better than his opponent. His opponent saw this and quickly took the fight to the ground where he put Zach in a triangle in the first minute of the first round. Some students would have quit after losing like that but Zach looked at it differently. Rather than see it as losing, he looked at it as a learning experience and it just fueled him to be a better fighter and train harder. Since then, Zach has become a professional MMA Fighter and is one of the most popular fighters on the East coast. This weekend Zach travels to Chicago to try out for the UFC Fighter show. He got close the last time; they flew him out to be an alternate. If you see him this week ask him if you can check out that tattoo and then wish him well.
What does the future hold for Zach? I cannot say but after watching his highlight reel I know he has already reached his first goal of becoming a Vale Tudo / MMA Fighter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha I do remember getting a hard time about that tattoo at first. But it has always been a constant reminder of what I really am passionate about. I always liked the message "anything goes". I felt with a positive attitude and good people supporting you, you can deal with whatever happens in life and things will turn out well.

It has been hard putting aside a lot of the luxuries of life (not living in the same bedroom you had in 7th grade for beginners) to pursue my dreams. However, I feel I am rich in many ways I could never achieve financially. I have had the opportunity to discover how many people care about me and support me for no personal gain except wanting to see me succeed. I can always fall back on that when I am feeling low or I question whether it has all been worth it. Years from now, no matter what happens, I can always live without the regret that I missed the chance to pursue my dreams.

I always found myself in class and at work daydreaming about new transitions in jiu jitsu or thinking about what I could do to improve my game in some way. I would have a tough time tucking all that passion away to sit behind a desk allocating budgets no matter how good the benefits. It has been a long journey and the road ahead is even more daunting but what I have gained has already made the time and energy worthwhile. I only hope I can give back to everyone who has supported me along the way. Thank you to everyone who has supported me even when I was just a white belt with a crazy dream.

Anonymous said...

Zach - Will you come out to every fight with Hot Stepper playing? If you did you would be my idol. Good luck at the tryouts.